Monday, September 11, 2006

too close for me.....

George Allen, former coach for the Washington Redskins, was famous for saying that he never lost a game, he just ran out of time. Luckily for the Vols, Air Force ran out of time Saturday night at Shields-Watkins Field.

The game wasn't on free-TV, so I listened to it on the radio while watching the Ohio State/Texas game. I was OK until the last 5 or 6 minutes of the game. Then the panic set in, along with a little yelling. OK, a little yelling may be understating things just a bit. If not for Xavier Mitchell's big tackle on Air Force's 2-point conversion, the Vols could have been 1-1. When Ainge took his final run backwards, which allowed the clock to run out, I was pretty worked up. So worked up, in fact, that I had to go on a run to settle down afterwards. I haven't had a chance to see the game yet, so I don't know if the defense looked as bad as it sounded. Or if Air Force's offense looked as good as it sounded. The replay is tonight at 6:00 on Comcast Sports South. I may just watch the Phillip Fulmer show instead. Don't know if I can relive the whole game or not.

Not only was the game a nail-biter for the fans, but now Fulmer will be doing a little nail-biting of his own for the rest of the season. Justin Harrell and Inky Johnson are both out for the season. Not alot of depth in the secondary, so the Johnson injury hurts the most. I wish both young men a swift recovery.

On a completely separate note, 5 years ago today I was getting ready to leave for a meeting out of town. The same meeting I'm attending this week. About 45 minutes into the trip, I got a call from Mom. Dad was going to the same meeting, and Mom had received a call from his office that the conference had been cancelled. Seems that alot of things got cancelled that day, that week. The conference would be rescheduled. Unfortunately the innocent people who lost their lives that day couldn't reschedule things. I still can't watch footage from 9/11 without having all sorts of anger well up inside me. Don't know that I'll ever be able to.....

No comments: